Saturday, April 30, 2011

The sickies

We had plans for today. So did Ethan's body. Yesterday he woke up from his afternoon nap with a fever and a rash. The rash wasn't bad, so I kind of assumed that it was a viral rash that would be gone this morning. He was a little grumpy when he first woke, so I gave him ibuprofen for the fever. Once it kicked in he was fine, and playing. He ate like a pig at dinner. He went to bed at his normal time and slept great. He woke up a little late this morning. When I went into get him, his rash was much worse. Still had the fever. Thankfully his doctor's office is open for a few hours on Saturdays. I called as soon as they opened and was given an appointment. I don't want to be someone who runs to the doctors every time my kid gets a scratch. And normally I'm not. If this rash wouldn't have gotten worse overnight, then we wouldn't have gone in. Anyway, within 1 minute of talking to the doctor he knew exactly what it was. It was a reaction to the MMR shot he got at his 15 month appointment! I guess it takes a week or 2 for it to actually show up, if they get it at all. According to the paper he showed me, it is a 1 in 20 chance of getting the rash. It is not contagious and just brings a low fever. He said it should be gone in a couple of days. Ethan is kind of grumpy and whiny. You can tell he doesn't feel well though. He wants to play, but doesn't feel like it. I am hoping he naps well, because sleep is the best thing for him.

So we were all supposed to go to a birthday party for a friend's little girl. Actually, the plan was for mom to come over and stay with Ethan while the rest of us went. But since Ethan has that fever, I didn't want to leave him. So Dylan and Ryan went. I'm glad Dylan is out and about though. It is at a park, so he should enjoy himself. Tonight Ryan's Mom and Dad are having a dinner for Easter/Birthdays. As long as Ethan is acting ok, he and I will go as well. While I took Ethan to the doc's this morning, Dylan and Ryan went out on the four wheeler back to the woods to go mushroom hunting. Nothing was found, except for lots and lots of mud. But Dylan had fun. Also, yesterday evening Ryan tried mowing our yard. But he had to stop because it was spraying water. There is still water laying in our yard from all of this crappy rain. And tomorrow, more rain. If it holds off to later in the day, Ryan is going to try again to mow. We'll see. No plans for tomorrow though. I just hope that Ethan's fever and rash get better. Poor kid.


  1. I know they always say they can have a reaction but I thought it'd be a little rash around the spot that they gave them the shot, not something like that. :( Hope he feels better soon!

  2. Hi! Came across your blog after you left a comment on mine (adayinathelifeofamommy). Following you now! I had to move my blog, hope you check it out when you get a chance!

    I'm so sorry about your little guy! Hope he feels better soon!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...