Thursday, September 1, 2011

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust!!!

I love whole wheat...anything. Whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta...ect. When you buy whole wheat products you need to be careful. If you truly want whole wheat foods, you need to look for the words "100%." Or you need to read the ingredients. Just because it says "Whole Wheat" doesn't mean that it is 100% whole wheat. If you have never tried whole wheat before, go and buy the whole wheat pasta, and give it a try. It takes a bit longer to cook, and is a bit firmer if you cook it right. The added flavor is awesome. Its just the slightest added yumminess. I don't remember the last time I bought white pasta. So I have been looking for a pizza crust recipe that is 100% whole wheat. Most of what I would see on the internet was only half whole wheat at the most. Finally I came across one that called for JUST the whole wheat flour. No white flour. On vacation, our last night there we ordered pizza. I ordered us all a pepperoni pizza on whole wheat crust. Now I can't say that it was 100%, because I didn't ask and couldn't find the info online. But it was still good and had that flavor I like. So today I gave the recipe I found a shot. I made a 100% whole wheat pizza crust. And it is GOOD! It may be safe to say, I might be done with my old "go to" recipe.


I used my Kitchenaid stand mixer instead of my bread maker like I have been. And it was just as easy as throwing it into the breadmachine. Once it was done rising, I topped it and tossed it in the oven. It came out thin, and crispy. Just like I like it. Here is the recipe:

2 c of Whole Wheat Flour
1 package of active dry yeast/instant yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 c of hot tap water (120-125 degrees)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of honey or sugar
1 tablespoon of gluten (this is optional)

*the gluten will help the dough rise, which will also yeild a thicker, chewier crust. If you don't want a thicker crust leave it out. *

Prepare the Dough-In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Blend in the water, oil and honey (or sugar). Stir by hand until all of the ingredients are well combined. Then cover and let rise until desired size.
Grease a 15x10x1 pan or a 12-14 inch pizza pan. Press dough out until it covers the pan.
You can pre-bake the crust for 3 minutes BEFORE you top it. It will help to make a crispier crust. You don't have to though.
Top the dough with desired toppings and bake 15-20 minutes.


Here are my notes: I used rapid rise yeast. I don't know if that matters or not. It's just all I had on hand. I also did NOT use the gluten, because I wanted a thin crust. I did have to add a bit more flour as it mixed because it seemed a little wet. I let it rise until it was almost double in size. And like I said earlier, I used my stand mixer to mix it up and it turned out fine. I also pre-baked it. Like I said, I like my crust thin and crispy. I also poked it with a fork all over before baking. Once I topped it and put it in the oven, I kept my eye on it. I actually pulled it out of the oven around 13 minutes. So your oven may be different as well. Just watch it.
Give it a try next time you make your own dough. You will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...