Friday, September 30, 2011

Pumpkin Bars

With it being cold and gloomy, I got the desire to bake a little bit. It made me feel good too. I had some canned pumpkin in the cabinet, so I went searching for a recipe for something that had pumpkin in it. I came across one for Pumpkin Bars. I had everything it called for and went with it. They turned out soft, moist and so comforting. Forgive the pictures. They aren't the best because I took them quickly with my cell phone.














Like I said they were fantastic. I even made a glaze to go over it. Yum!
Here is the recipe.

Pumpkin Bars
4 eggs
1 2/3 Cups white sugar
1 Cup vegetable oil (or melted butter or applesauce)
1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
2 Cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350.
In a medium bowl mix eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin puree with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir into pumpkin mix.
Spread batter evenly into ungreased 10x15 jelly roll pan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Ok now for a few notes on the bar recipe. I only did 3 eggs. I wanted it less cake-like so I only did 3. I also added nutmeg. Nutmeg and cinnamon should go hand in hand. So I added it. I didn't measure it, but it was a little less than half a teaspoon probably. And once it started baking, it almost ran out of the pan. Almost. So be prepared for that just in case. It was an easy recipe and my stand mixer did all of the work.
Here is the recipe for the glaze. Make the glaze. You want the glaze!

2 Cups confectioners sugar
3 tbs milk
1 tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together to combine. You can thin it out if you'd like by adding a splash or 2 of milk. Just do it little by little. This recipe actually made just the right consistency. Once your bars are cool, pour the glaze over. My glaze did run over the side of the pan, but that was ok, because I had put a larger pan under it to catch the run off. The glaze slightly hardens and is wonderful. Make the glaze.

This is a wonderful treat to have on hand. And it will serve quite a few people if you cut it into squares ahead of time.

1 comment:

  1. It looks amazing I cannot wait to try this recipe it sounds fabulous. Thank you for sharing,
    ~Holly~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...