Saturday, September 10, 2011

So so Saturday

We haven't done a whole lot today. I am sort of in a funk and doing my best to get out of it. I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Ryan was busy today. So just another normal day for us. I set out this morning to make a nice dinner. I have a beef roast in the crock pot with some potatoes and carrots. Then I wanted to make a new roll recipe that I saw in a cooking magazine. So I am in the process of that. It has taken so much longer than I intended it too. I got the dough together and set out to let it rise. It seemed very wet. But the recipe warned that it would be kind of wet and sticky, so I just went with it. I let it rise. Only when I went back to check on it, it hadn't done much. So I again, just went with it. I couldn't do anything with it at all. It was way to wet. So I scrapped it and tried it all again. This time it is going much better. So look for that tomorrow or Monday. I can't post it until we have tasted it. And we aren't there yet.
I have had the Food Network on in the background all day today. Some days I just enjoy listening to it and watching them cook. Dylan has been more interested in the Food Network than he has been in any other kid show. He hasn't complained once and gets glued. Its pretty funny. Ethan was good for the first round of dough. He played with various things in the kitchen and kept himself very entertained. It was so pleasant. The second round of dough, he was horrible. He basically cried the whole time. Something he did, just didn't go right and it totally pissed him off. He is now napping, thankfully and I sent Dylan to his room for some down time. For both him and me.
I mentioned that I put a beef roast in the crock pot. Buying beef lately has been frustrating. Ever since I switched stores, I haven't been able to buy a good steak. Well this week when I went to look for a roast, I had the same problem. That is why I put it in the crock pot. I am honestly surprised that there is such a difference in meat quality between 2 stores within the same chain. I shop at a Kroger. I just recently switched towns though, so it is a different Kroger store than I have been at for a couple of years. Even some of the produce just isn't what it was. I am assuming (someone correct me if I am wrong) that at each Kroger store, the butcher is the one putting out the cuts of meat. I want to say that they are the ones cutting the meat. Which means that the butcher in this new (to me) store is the reason the meat isn't as good. Does anyone know any behind the scene stuff at a Kroger store? It is becoming frustrating and getting the not so good cut of meat is almost making it so that its just not worth the time it is saving. I mentioned the produce...this past week was the second time that while buying strawberries, I have to pick through the containers for so long before I find one that has good berries in it. I keep finding containers that are already growing mold! Fuzzy mold! Not just one trip to the store. Twice now! This store is a busier store too! It is just disappointing and frustrating.
I am not sure what we are going to get into this evening. Probably nothing. It turned out to be a pleasant day out. The sun was out this morning and it was beautiful. Clouds have moved in, but it is still warmer today than it has been in a few days. Perfect jeans and t-shirt weather. I love jeans and t-shirt weather.
Oh, I almost forgot! I wanted to show you my first ever handmade gift from Dylan. At school the other day he made me a bracelet! So here it is:

See you tomorrow or Monday with the recipe for the rolls. Please, if you missed it, check out yesterday's post featuring a survivor from 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...