Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Peach Cobbler for One? Yep...Yum

I don't care for peaches. Never have. I don't know how to tell if a peach is ripe or not. I know nothing about them really. Just that I don't like them. On our way back from South Carolina, we stopped at a roadside stand in North Carolina to bring back peaches for Ryan's parents. Ryan' mom made me take a few. Then she and Ryan's dad proceeded to tell me how to peel a peach and how to tell if it is ripe or not. I still don't think I could go to the store and buy a good peach. Ok, so anyway, we had peaches here. I think they are a pain to even deal with. So I got to looking around on the Internet, looking for an easy way to use them up ASAP. Well I came across a recipe from Joy the Baker. It is a peach cobbler of sorts, only extremely simple. So I gave it a shot one night for dinner. This recipe calls to bake for 20 minutes. So I had it all ready to go, and put it in the oven when we sat down to eat, so that it would be ready when we finished dinner. According to Joy, it is best eaten warm, so that's what I wanted to make happen.
Here is the recipe:

1 peach
1/4 c of all purpose flour
1/4 c of brown sugar (packed)
3 tbs of old fashioned oats
1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 tbs of shredded coconut
1 tbs of slivered almonds
2 tbs cold butter, cubed

Preheat oven to 350 and make sure the oven rack is in the middle
Cut the peach in half and remove the pit. Once you remove the pit, just scoop out some of that red part to leave room for the filling.
In a small bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, salt, coconut, and almonds. Then add the butter and work it into the dry ingredients with your fingers.
Now, place the peach halves, cut side up, in an oven safe dish. Add the filling to each half of the peach. Make sure to push that filling down in there to get as much as you can on the peach. If some falls over into the dish, that is fine...you will still eat it!
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve it warm. You can of course add ice cream if that's how you like to eat your cobbler.

I also want to add, that the first time I made this, I left out the almonds. I didn't have any nuts in the house. It was still perfect. The second time I made it, I left out the nuts and the coconut and it was still great. So if you don't like either of those, just leave it out. You will still love this! And like I said earlier, it can cook while you eat dinner, and will be ready when you are finished. That is called perfect timing!
The kids loved this. Now, even I liked it. And I don't like peaches. But I like this! I am not sure why I like this and not peaches in general, but whatever. This is so simple and yummy! Give it a try!!

Before:

After:

Doesn't that look good?!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds REALLY delicious! I'll have to give it a try sometime. I keep a lot of dinner recipes on my blog but haven't added to many desert ones yet... if this is good I'd love to continue to pass it on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...