Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pizza Sub Sandwiches

I wanted a pizza for lunch. I just didn't want to take the extra time to make a dough. Or dirty all of those dishes. So I took some hoagie rolls that I had bought, and made a sub! I enjoy pizza subs from time to time. I like the crispiness of the subs that you get from a pizza place. I just haven't had much success in making them here at home. They tend to be soggy. So anyway, today was my best result so far.
I used my little toaster oven today. I like how quick it is. I opened the hoagie rolls and then spread a very small amount of butter on them. I stuck them in the toaster oven on "toast" setting for about 5 minutes or so, to get the bread a bit crispy. After that, I topped them with pepperoni.
Then I put on a small amount of pizza sauce (maybe 2-3 tsp) over the pepperoni.
Next of course is the cheese. I used Mozzarella.
Then I put them back in the toaster oven on the "broil" setting to get the cheese brown and bubbly. I don't remember how long, but I didn't walk away from the toaster oven. I stayed and watched them cook to keep from forgetting about them and burning them.
Once they were done, I let them cool a bit before putting the 2 halves together.
I made 3 sandwiches. One for me and one each for the boys. Both are great eaters, so yes, they got their own sandwich. And they ate every last bite too, plus an apple. They like to eat!
I had to do the top halves of the rolls together and then do the bottom part of the rolls together. For one, the tops and bottoms were different thickness, so I didn't want the uneven doneness. And two, I just didn't have enough room in the toaster oven to do all of them together. Next time, I think I would sprinkle on some garlic powder after I buttered them for a little added flavor.
Give it a try! They hit the pizza craving spot pretty well and took no time at all to make!





2 comments:

  1. All I can say is YUMMY! :-) Hi, Debs Dealz stopping over to check out your site, and I love it! I am officially your newest follower via GFC. I invite you to stop over and check out my blog, and hopefully follow me back! www.debsdealz.blogspot.com Thanks, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! I am thinking I may give this a try myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...