Sunday, October 2, 2011

Biscuits

Yesterday was cold. I wanted a warm, comforting meal. So I made meatloaf. And decided to make biscuits to go with the meal. I have only made biscuits one other time and used Bisquick to do it. They were drop biscuits. The texture wasn't good and they lacked a lot of flavor. After that, I focused on rolls. This weekend, I decided to give biscuits another chance. This time they worked and they were great!


They turned out so golden, and made the kitchen smell great. It is an easy recipe and so much easier than I thought they would be. I don't know why I was so afraid to make them. See that little one in the middle there? I had a bit of dough left over after cutting them out so I made a small biscuit really quick, just to avoid wasting any dough. That one was Ethan's.
Here's the recipe:

2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp cold butter or shortening or combination of both
1 cup cold buttermilk

Toss flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together. Quickly work in cold butter with pastry blender until it looks mealy. Add buttermilk and stir with a fork just enough to combine.

Turn the dough (it is very sticky) onto a floured board, dust the top with flour, and just push it over on itself 5-6 times, then pat gently until it is just about the thickness of your hand. Use a large biscuit cutter or glass to cut biscuits, place them on a baking sheet with sides barely touching, and bake 15-20 minutes at 450 until golden.
Oh, and I didn't have buttermilk. So I did 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, and enough milk to make one cup total. I let it sit for a few minutes and then mixed into the rest of the ingredients.

Good Luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm stealing that recipe. They look so good :) I love recipes with buttermilk. My husband hates buttermilk and he has no idea that he eats it in so many dishes I make.lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...